One bad thing about Marijuana is it produces a foul odor. If you smoke, you may want to get rid of the smell. You may also want to cover weed smell caused by an inconsiderate neighbor, roommate, or family member. You can cover up fresh odors with air fresheners, body sprays, and proper ventilation. Certain storage methods, like airtight containers and Ziploc bags, can lessen smell in storage. If you use marijuana, take measures to prevent a smell to begin with, like smoking with a vaporizer or using edibles.
Covering the Smell After Smoking
Invest in air fresheners. Air fresheners can be used to combat many troublesome odors, including the smell of marijuana. Consider plugging in an air freshener, or placing a new air freshener in a room, shortly after smoking. If you do not smoke yourself, you can use an air freshener if you notice a fresh scent in the air.
- You can buy gel-based air fresheners that come encased in a plastic case. To use, you would simply open the case to allow the smell to escape.
- However, gel-based air fresheners may not provide as strong odor cover up. Many air fresheners plug into a wall and pump out a fresh scent all day. If the smell is strong, considering investing in a plug-in air freshener for an added effect.
Try scented candles. Scented candles can also mask the unwanted smell of marijuana smoke. You can buy a variety of scented candles at most supermarkets. Many malls have stores dedicated to selling scented candles. Air freshener companies often sell separate candles specifically designed to neutralize and remove odor. Experiment with a variety of scented candles until you find one that works for you.
- Consider choosing something with a natural scent, like pine. Using a strong scented candle can seem suspicious, as if you’re trying to cover something up.
Use spray odor removers. Spray odor removers can be a great means to remove unwanted odor. In addition to spritzing the air with odor removers, you can spray them over your carpeting and furniture to remove set-in smells.
- Look for products that advertise themselves as “odor removers” or “odor neutralizers.” These products seek to remove unwanted smells rather than just masking them. Febreeze is a popular variety that can work well, particularly on carpeting and furniture.
- Always read the manufacturer’s instructions before using any product. Some products may come with warnings or should not be used on a particular type of fabric or carpeting.
- It’s a good idea to spray a small corner of carpeting or fabric first to test out the product. Make sure the spray does not cause any discoloration or other problems before spritzing it all over your carpeting or furniture.
Remove the smell from breath. After smoking, you may still have a faint scent of marijuana on your breath. You can get rid of this smell by chewing a mint-flavored gum. You can also try brushing your teeth and then rinsing with mouthwash. If you have any breath strips, consider using these to cover up the smell.
Try body spray or perfume. Scented body spray or perfume can help cover the smell of marijuana on your clothes. After smoking, spritz a small amount of perfume or body spray over your outfit to try to cover the smell.
- Before spraying down an entire outfit, test out the product first. Spray a small amount on a tiny portion of your outfit. Let dry and make sure the perfume or body spray does not cause discoloration or damage to your clothing.
- Do not use too much spray or perfume. A little bit goes a long way. If you smell strongly, the odor can irritate others and look suspicious. If possible, choose mild, natural scents like sandalwood.
Turn on a fan or open a window. Ventilation is also a great way to remove marijuana smell after smoking. Open up a window and smoke nearby. If the wind is blowing the smoke back in, turn a fan towards the window and then switch it on. This will help blow the smoke outdoors.
- Be careful when blowing smoke outdoors. The scent can be irritating to your neighbors.
- Marijuana is still illegal in most US states. Unless you’re legally allowed to smoke pot in your home, avoid blowing the smoke out the window. You could get in legal trouble for doing so. You should not smoke marijuana at all if it’s not legally permitted in your state.
Cook food with strong odors. Cooking can actually cover the smell of marijuana if you use the right ingredients. If it’s close to mealtime, consider cooking foods with onion, garlic, or other strong-smelling substances. This can help cover smell caused by marijuana.
- Choose ingredients that produce a smell you do not mind. If you loathe the smell of garlic, you do not want to cover one bothersome odor with another.
Preventing a Smell in Storage
Store in airtight containers. In storage, marijuana can sometimes leave a strong odor. In order to combat this odor, try storing your marijuana in an airtight, sealable container. A mason jar, a Tupperware container, or a vacuum-packed bag would work well. This will minimizes the odor present in the room where your marijuana is being stored.
Seal in a Ziplock bag. If you do not have a sealable, airtight container, consider storing your marijuana in a Ziplock bag. A simple sandwich bag can help mask odor caused by marijuana.
- If you use any device to smoke, such as a pipe, sealing it in a Ziploc bag afterwards can also help mask the odor. Make sure the pipe is cool before storing it in a Ziploc bag to avoid a potential fire hazard.
- You can purchase a carbon filter online or at a local greenhouse. For most homegrown marijuana, you’ll need a filter with a 6 inch exhaust filter. You can purchase the carbon filter and install it in your closet or in the room where you’re growing your plants.
- You’ll need a fan to accompany your filter. When choosing a fan, make sure your fan has a slightly lower “CFM” rating than your carbon filter. The CFM rating is a rating that measures airflow, and a fan will not work properly in conjunction with a filter if it has a higher CFM rating. For example, if your filter’s box says it has a CFM of 300, make sure your fan has a CFM of 300 or slightly lower.
- Make sure you are legally allowed to grow marijuana on your property before doing so. In some states, it’s legal to grow marijuana for personal use. In other states, you can grow marijuana for yourself or another person to use medicinally. Review your state’s regulations before attempting to grow marijuana.
Use a carbon filter if you’re growing. If you’re growing marijuana inside your home, the smell can become quite strong. You can purchase a device called a carbon filter to help remove odor from your home.
Place air fresheners near your weed. Alongside other methods, it’s not a bad idea to place some air fresheners around where you store your marijuana. A few plug-in or gel-based air fresheners can aid in removing the unwanted scent of pot lingering in the air. As always, go for air fresheners that have a natural scent to avoid suspicion.
Preventing a Smell
Burn incense before smoking. It’s a good idea to burn a little incense before smoking. You can purchase incense at many supermarkets and craft stores. Choose a mild, natural scent. Light the incense about 5 minutes before you start smoking. This will get the air thick with incense odor, preemptively masking the smell of pot when you begin smoking.
Use a vaporizer. A vaporizer is a small, portable device that vaporizes the active ingredients of marijuana. It allows you to inhale the plant without having to light anything, reducing the amount of odor caused by smoking. Investing in a quality vaporizer can greatly minimize odor when smoking.
- You can purchase a vaporizer online. If you live in a state where marijuana is legal for recreational or medicinal purposes, you may be able to purchase a vaporizer at a marijuana dispensary.
- You can use a vaporizer anywhere in your home and the smell of marijuana will be very much diluted. Air fresheners, odor removers, and other smell-removing techniques may be unnecessary when using a vaporizers.
- One downside is that vaporizers often need to charge before use, so make sure to plug in your vaporizer for a bit before you want to smoke.
Try a one-hitter. A one-hitter is another portable device you use to smoke marijuana. A one-hitter is a mechanical, reusable device designed to look something like a cigarette. You fill the device with a small amount of marijuana and then smoke it like a cigarette. One-hitters, like vaporizers, produce less smell than other methods of smoking.
- As with a vaporizer, you can purchase a one-hitter online. If you live in a state where marijuana is legal for recreational or medicinal purposes, you may be able to buy a one-hitter at a marijuana dispensary.
Smoke outdoors, if legal. Smoking outside creates less scent because odors disperse in the air. If you’re legally able to do so, smoke outside when possible. This will result in less smells becoming trapped in your home.
Consider edibles. Marijuana can be cooked into butter and then made into a variety of baked goods. If you live in a state where marijuana is legal for medicinal or recreational purposes, you can buy a wide variety of edibles at a local dispensary. Edibles virtually eliminate odor, as no smell is produced via smoking or storage. If you want to eliminate odor, consider purchasing edibles over smoking.
Consider strains that produce less smell. Marijuana comes in a variety of strains. Some strains produce a less pungent odor. If you are legally able to go to a dispensary, a worker there may be able to help you select less pungent strains of marijuana. Indica strains, like Northern Lights, Granddaddy Purple, and Rockstar, produce buds with less prominent odors.
Use a sploof. A sploof is a homemade device designed to mask the smell caused by marijuana. When taking a hit, exhale the smoke into a sploof to help prevent a smell from developing. These can be made with common household items.
- To make a basic spoof, wrap a dryer sheet over one end of a toilet paper roll, securing it with a rubber band. Stuff the tube halfway with toilet paper. With repeated use, the dryer sheet with turn brown with residue, so it’s handy to store a couple extra dryer sheets in your stash.
- Another way to make a sploof is to place 10 to 15 dryer sheets inside your paper towel roll. Put some marijuana inside the sock and stuff this inside the roll. Use the tube as a pipe to smoke. The smell will be muffled by the sock and the dryer sheets, lessening the odor of marijuana